Schoodic Woods Campground Overview
Schoodic Woods campsites are reservable up to 2 months in advance at 10:00am EDT. There are no first-come, first-serve sites. All campsites are by advanced reservation only.
Schoodic Woods is located in breathtaking Acadia National Park on the Maine coast. Located on the Schoodic Peninsula, this campground is 1.5 miles (2.5 km) southeast of Winter Harbor. It is approximately 60-70 minutes from Bar Harbor and the main section of the park. Visitors venture to Acadia for its picturesque scenery, historic sites and recreational activities, including walking, hiking, biking and kayaking.
RecreationThe Schoodic Peninsula provides numerous recreational activities without the congestion of Mount Desert Island. A six-mile (10 km), one-way loop road offers views of lighthouses, seabirds, and forested islands. Vehicle turnouts provide opportunities to stop and enjoy the scenery. Stopping on the road and parking outside of designated pull-offs are prohibited. There are over eight miles of hiking trails on the Schoodic Peninsula and an additional eight miles of bike paths. Arey Cove Road leads to Schoodic Point, a windswept, rocky point providing spectacular views of Mount Desert Island.
All sites (except for group sites and hike-in sites) have electric, and B-Loop sites have electric and water. Flush toilets, potable running water, and a dump station are provided, as are picnic tables and fire rings in each site. All campground roads are paved.
Acadia's Island Explorer shuttle buses provide free service between park destinations and local communities. Shuttle service is available on the Schoodic Peninsula from late-May to mid-October. There is no shuttle service between the Schoodic Peninsula and Mt. Desert Island.
Grocery, and supply stores are located in Winter Harbor, 1.5 miles from the campground. *** There are no showers in the campground or the surrounding area, closest showers are located in Mount Desert Island. The use of portable showers and toliets are prohibited.******
At ALL HIKE-IN CAMPSITES, setting, building, maintaining, attending, or using a campfire (including charcoal) is prohibited. Stoves and grills fueled by petroleum fuels such as Liquid Propane Gas (LPG), butane, or white gas are allowed.
Acadia is comprised of a cluster of islands on the Atlantic coast of Maine. Mountains, lakes, streams, wetlands, forests, meadows and beaches are all found within roughly 50,000 acres comprising Acadia. At Schoodic Woods, all sites are wooded and within a 15-minute walk of the ocean.
Nearby AttractionsAcadia National Park is surrounded by scenic island harbors and quaint towns. The Schoodic Institute is located near Schoodic Point and has an Education and Research Center supporting science and education initiatives throughout the park. Beautiful Lamoine State Park is just 21 miles from Acadia, with boating, fishing, and scenic views of Frenchman's Bay.
Charges & Cancellations
- If a camper does not check-in at the ranger station by 10:00am check-out time the day after the scheduled arrival date, their reservation will be cancelled, the camper will incur a $20.00 service fee, and forfeit the first night's camping fee.
Making Changes to Your Reservation
- A $10.00 service fee will apply if you make any changes to your reservation.
Cancelling Your Reservation
- If you cancel your reservation the day before or on the day of your scheduled arrival date, you will incur a $10 service fee and forfeit your first night's camping fee. If you cancel your reservation 2 or more days before your scheduled arrival date, you will only incur a $10 service fee.
- If you cancel a group campsite reservation within 7 full days before the scheduled arrival date, you will be charged the $10.00 service fee and forfeit the first night's use fee.
- If you choose to check out of your campsite early, you must notify us in person at the Campground Ranger Station before 10:00am in order to receive a refund for your remaining nights.
Directions to Campground
Take I-95 north to Bangor, Maine, then take Route 1A east to Ellsworth. In Ellsworth, head north on U.S. Route 1 for approximately 17.3 miles to Hwy 186. Turn right on Hwy 186 and drive 6.5 miles. Turn left at yield sign, continue .5 miles and turn right on Schoodic Loop Road. Take Schoodic Loop Road for 1.0 mile. Campground will be on your left.